What time to arrive?
The Observatory opens 10-15 minutes before the event begins. There is a waiting area near the observatory; the waiting area is referred as VIS (Visitor Information Station. Visitors are welcome to walk around on our observatory deck prior to events starting or wait in the nearby car park until this time.
About our events/ Visits
Our observatory events cater for all levels of knowledge and for all ages from 4 to 104. No question is too silly, no question too complex, we're happy to discuss everything from high level cosmology through to why the sky is blue. Our team of dedicated volunteers and astronomers love to be asked questions, and we actively encourage it throughout our events. We aim to deliver science from the ground up... if you want more, just ask, we're happy to talk at every level.
If you have booked for an event or visit, then we will have your details on our computers at the observatory. Please print out your email confirming your booking and bring this with you where possible, or a copy of the reminder message we will email to you. If you have neither, please don't panic, as we will be able to confirm your details at the door as well.
Weather and Refund
We regret to say that once booked, all tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable.
All events/visits go ahead when it's cloudy/rainy. We will contact you by the number you've given us when you booked so make sure you're available on the day to take our call.
What to bring
- Ideally you’re booking reference email printed out or on your smartphone. if you don't have this, we will still be able to validate your booking at the door with your name and mobile phone no.
- Warm clothes. The Observatory is located at the hill station and it gets very cold. Do not underestimate how cold you might get – bring your warmest clothing and footwear.
- Suitable torches - Red light or red light filtered torches are a must, for getting around under our exceptionally dark skies.
- For refreshments, the Observatory has a Visitor shop selling hot drinks & astronomically themed sugar (Mars Bars, Milky Ways...). We are only able to accept cash payments for these items. Just one thing to remember, we make the best hot chocolate you have ever tasted... one not to miss! If you have lactose or other intolerance, please let our staff know prior to ordering any refreshments, and we will endeavour to cater for you as best we can.
- An open mind... your imagination is the only limit to what you will discover at Natskies Observatory.
Parking is provided at the Observatory during events so please drive all the way up the track to the observatory car park, which is less than 5 minutes walk from the Observatory building. If you arrive to find the gate locked please wait in the nearby car park for a member of staff. Visitors with wheelchair or other accessibility requirements are welcome to park outside the front of the observatory.
We regret that no dogs apart from guide or special needs dogs are allowed on the observatory site.